Versión en español aquí: Administración subcutánea de adalimumab (Idacio) en pluma precargada
Adalimumab is a drug commonly used for the treatment of certain diseases in Rheumatology, Dermatology and Gastroenterology.
In Rheumatology it is used for rheumatoid arthritis, juvenile idiopathic arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis and non-infectious uveitis.
Each idacio pen contains a single dose of 0.8 ml of adalimumab, which is equivalent to 40 mg. It should be noted that the pen is latex free.
Depending on the disease, the frequency of administration changes.
The pen should be kept in the refrigerator, between 2º C (35.6° F) and 8º C (46.4° F). To protect the pen from light, it should be kept in the original box.
If necessary, for example when traveling, we can take the pen out of the fridge and it can be stored at room temperature for up to 28 days.
Remove the pen from the fridge half an hour before to temper on a flat surface.
The materials included in the box are: the pen, a gauze impregnated with alcohol and a container should be used for the removal of the pen.
When we have everything ready please wash your hands.
Now, we choose the injection site, which can be the abdomen (inject at least 5 cm. away from the navel) or the front area of the thighs. You must rotate the injection sites when possible. For patients with psoriasis, it is necessary to avoid pricking in red, thickened, raised or scaly areas.
We clean with the gauze the area that we have chosen for the injection and we do not touch the area again.
And now we prepare for the injection:
1) Remove the cap from the pen by pulling it.
2) Pen position:
- We hold the pen so that the transparent housing can be seen.
- Place your thumb on top of the yellow injection button, but without touching it.
- If we are going to inject into the abdomen area, it is desirable to make a fold in the application area, using the index and thumb of the opposite hand of the injection.
- Place the pen against the skin at an angle of 90º.
3) Dose injection:
- Push the pen firmly against the skin until the safety guard is fully pressed. This causes the injection button to be unlocked.
- Press the yellow injection button. Then, we will listen to a “click”. This indicates that the injection has begun.
- We keep the pen in this position until the plunger has completely come down and all the liquid has been injected. When it stops moving, we count 5 seconds and we can lift the pen from the skin.
- We note that the safety guard slides down as protection, so that we do not puncture ourselves with the needle.
- A small droplet of blood may come out at the end. If necessary we can press on the area, but never rub the injection site.
5. AT THE END
We dispose of the pen in a safely waste container.
Another option used in many hospitals is to keep the used pen in its box and when we go back to the pharmacy to pick up a new pen, we return the used one.